Though the summer is coming to an end, Birmingham, Michigan residents continue to be outside enjoying the warm weather and taking in the best that Birmingham has to offer. However, good weather also brings criminal activity to the city, especially related to theft. The Birmingham Police Department has shared Summer Crime Prevention Tips to help keep you and your property safe.
Lock your Vehicle Doors and Roll-Up Windows:
This may sound simple, but approximately 95% of all larceny from autos in the city are from unlocked vehicles. It is a very common crime for thieves to walk the streets at night checking vehicles for unlocked doors and then stealing property from inside the vehicle.
Park Your Vehicle In Your Garage or Driveway:
- Avoid parking on the street when possible. Thieves are more uncomfortable checking vehicles that are closer to a residence or building, than they are when they are parked in the street.
Illuminate the Outside of your Home:
- With the development of energy efficient lighting, it is now relatively inexpensive to leave outdoor lights on, which strongly deters thieves.
Lock Exterior Doors:
- Lock door especially at night and anytime you leave the building. This includes keeping your garage door down and securing any exterior doors of a garage.
Lock Exterior Windows:
- While this is more challenging during the summer when we are all trying to feel enjoy some fresh air, do not leave windows open if you are not home.
Network with Trusted Neighbor:
- A sense of community truly develops when everyone watches out for their fellow neighbors. Be aware of your surroundings and do not hesitate to call the police if you observe suspicious behavior that could be related to criminal activity.
- If you are going to be away from your residence, make sure the lawn is kept up, stop the mail and newspapers (or arrange for a neighbor to pick them up), leave the outdoor and indoor lights on timers, and of course make sure all doors and windows are locked prior to leaving.
Do not have packages delivered and left on your front porch unattended. If possible, either have it delivered when you are home or ask for the assistance of a trusted neighbor to retrieve it for you.
In 2015, Birmingham was ranked #30 on the list of Michigan’s safest cities with a population over 5,000, by SafeWise, after the site calculated violent and property crimes per 1,000 residents. With a population of just over 20,000, Birmingham has 0.68 violent crimes per 1,000 and 11.63 property crimes per 1,000. “All citizens have a chance to pitch in and help protect their community in the verdant city of Birmingham. A robust volunteer police auxiliary unit provides extra security at high school sporting events, community festivals, and parades, and auxiliary officers can accompany regular officers on patrol as well,” Rebecca Edwards wrote on the site.
Summer not only causes an increase in the crime rate, but it also leads to an increase in auto accidents on the road. Automobile Crashes involving cars, bicycles, or motorcycles can cause serious and long-term injuries. If you or somebody you know has been injured in an motor vehicle collision, call The Michigan Law Firm, PLLC. Our attorneys are highly experienced in handling all types of car accident cases. Call us today, at 844.4MI.FIRM for a free consultation.