Drunk Driving is illegal in every state and can land you in jail with a heap of fines to boot. Although everyone knows drunk driving is illegal, the statistics can be somewhat staggering. Here are some statistics about drunk driving from Mothers Against Drunk Driving:
- 50% to 75% of convicted drunk drivers continue to drive on a suspended license.
- The average drunk driver has driven drunk 80 times before his first arrest.
- The rate of drunk driving is highest among 21 to 25 year-olds (23.4%).
- Every two minutes, a person is injured in a drunk driving crash.
- Drunk driving costs the United States $199 billion a year.
- On average, 2 in 3 people will be involved in a drunk driving crash in their lifetime.
- Drunk driving costs each adult in the United States almost $800 per year.
- In 2012, 29.1 million people admitted to driving under the influence of alcohol.
- Every day in America, 28 people die as a result of drunk driving crashes.
- In 2013, 10,076 people died in drunk driving crashes - one every 52 minutes - and 290,000 were injured in drunk driving crashes.
As you can see, the statistics about drunk driving are distressing. It is very important to keep a level head while drinking and always arrange a designated driver if you plan to drink. If you are the designated driver, even one drink is one too many to get behind the wheel and endanger your life, the lives of those in the car with you, and the lives of those on the road. It is also very important to educate our youth on the dangers of drunk driving, because they are the most at risk. By ensuring that we know how to control ourselves, we can teach our youth the same. Drive sober or get pulled over!
If you have been injured in a drunk driving accident, speak to an attorney at The Michigan Law Firm, PLLC. Our experienced attorneys are highly skilled in helping victims of automotive injuries receive any compensation they may be entitled to, under Michigan law. Call us today, at 844.4MI.FIRM for a free consultation.
Tell The Michigan Law Firm, PLLC today about your injury case. We handle car accident, slip and fall, dog bite lawsuits throughout Michigan. We offer free consultations.